Read more about Pneumatics on wikipedia.
- Force and speed are both infinitely adjustable later without any part changes (via regulator and flow valve adjustments)
- Natural linear motion, making interfacing with structure simple (no rotational motion conversion required)
- Very high direct forces possible (up to 188 lbs) without any mechanical reduction (higher forces possible with external mechanical advantage)
- New action/release possible after end of round
- Continued force possible after end of round
- Stallable forever without draining battery, action continues whenever resistance ends
- Servo positioning control possible (with feedback sensor and proper valving)
- Plug-in tubing makes routing, changes, and providing small amounts of work in odd places simple
- Very useful for: device deployment/actuation, doors, gates, releases, parking lockup, alternate drive/wheel swapping, vacuum generation, and gearbox switching
Large initial weight cost
- Routing hoses can be difficult
- Total power/energy output is less than that achievable with motors
- Frequent use will drop air pressure faster than the compressor can raise it, resulting in a severe performance drop.